What You Can Expect After A Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
Many Singaporeans are now seeking the help of aesthetic plastic surgeons to improve their appearance so they can have a boost in their self image and gain confidence. It is no longer just the wealthy or the celebrity seeking for cosmetic plastic surgery, but it is now becoming a growing trend among common people to undergo aesthetic plastic surgery in Singapore.
The common cosmetic plastic surgery procedures in Singapore are liposuctions, nose surgery (rhinoplasty) , breast augmentation, breast lift, facelift, and blepharoplasty (double eyelid and eye lift). In this article, we will go through what a typical recovery look like and what you can expect following two of the most common facial cosmetic surgery – Rhinoplasty and Blepharoplasty.
What You Can Expect After Rhinoplasty Plastic Surgery Procedures?
In general, nose job (rhinoplasty) surgery recovery takes about two weeks and the final result will take about a year. The recovery and downtime following rhinoplasty vary patient to patient and is also dependent on the rhinoplasty techniques used – open or closed rhinoplasty approach, any tip work was performed, any nasal bones being broken etc.
Patients who undergo open rhinoplasty surgery typically experienced more swelling and their swelling will last longer as compared to other closed rhinoplasty patients. Patients who had osteotomies will also experienced more bruising and swelling than patients who do not have their nose broken.
Whatever technique is used, you can expect to feel some dull aching and experience headache for a short time. The first day following the surgery is the most uncomfortable. You are likely to experience discomfort and might have a little nausea.
Contrary to what you may think, rhinoplasty wasn’t as painful as you expected. Unless there is an infection or complication, the pain is actually mild. You can take pain relief mediation for the first few days following the surgery to manage the discomfort. You will feel better in about 2-3 days. You will feel pretty good after 7 days, although there is still swelling and little bruising.
You will also experience some nose congestion in the first few weeks after your rhinoplasty due to the swelling inside the nose. This is typically at its worst during the 1st few days but it will start to get better as the swelling subsides.
After about seven days, you can return to work after the tapes and protective splint have been removed. You may gradually resume your exercise after two weeks. It is better to avoid participating in any important social interactions for at least 3 to 4 weeks to allow most of your bruising and swelling to subside. After 4 weeks, you will look very close to your final result. In the first 3 months, the nose will undergo significant changes. As the swelling gradually subside over the next few months, your nose appearance will also change gradually. It will take up to a year for all the swelling to subside and for the final shape to become apparent.
What You Can Expect After Blepharoplasty (Eyelid) Plastic Surgery Procedures?
Recovery time needed for each patient vary as different people recover at different speed and heal differently due to each individual’s constitution. In general, most patients can return to work after 5 – 6 days with their makeup and are 90% back to normal after two to three weeks. The final result of your blepharoplasty are visible and can be seen after about 2 months.
You can expect to experience discomfort and mild pain for the first few days following your eyelid surgery. If necessary, you can take some form of pain medication to manage the discomfort and pain during the healing period. Swelling and bruising around your eyes is also common. Patients who underwent double eyelid (blepharoplasty) surgery usually feel that most of the healing occurred within the first two weeks. Complete healing may take up to one year.
There are things you can do to speed up the recovery but bear in mind that there are also factors that are outside your control. You can do the following to speed up the recovery:
- Apply cold/ice compress on your eyes immediately after you return home for up to about 3 – 4 days.
- Keep your head elevated when you sleep for the first 2 weeks as this will help minimise swelling
- Refrain from excessive blinking, as this may lead to an increased in the swelling.
- Stay away from activities that dry your eyes easily for up to 1-2 weeks. These activities are watching television reading, looking at laptop/computer, usage of contact lens. You can put on spectacles or glasses immediately.
- Put on your sunglasses when you are outdoor to protect your eyes from possible wind and sun irritation
- Do not engage in any form of activity that increase blood flow to your eyes such as crying, lifting things, bending, and exercising for the first two to three weeks following your eyelid surgery.
- Refrain from all alcohol as this cause fluid retention and will slow down the recovery
- Cut down or stop smoking, if possible for at least two weeks before and after surgery, as smokers take longer to heal.
- Avoid taking medications and supplements like aspirin, vitamin E, fish oil etc. before and immediately after surgery
- Do not apply any eye makeup for the first week.
- Maintain a healthy and positive attitude and cut down any stress or worry will help you heal faster.
To reduce your chance and risk of complications after any cosmetic surgery, look for only Singapore plastic surgeons who has undergone a minimum of eight years of formal of surgical training following their medical school from a reputable top tier medical university. Be sure to request to view their patients before and after photos as means of evidence that he or she truly has the experience and competency to give you the best natural looking results. A great resource to help you learn more about plastic surgery in Singapore is www.SingaporePlasticSurgeryClinic.com
Hope you find this article useful and has helped to answer your concern about post rhinoplasty and eyelid surgery recovery and downtime. Feel free to share this information to your friends as well.